Perhaps you’ve heard of their kind. Perpetual leavers of bowls and pans in the sink, a sad pool of water puddling in the bottom. Never ones to do anything halfway, my gang here as upped the ante, soaking even the smallest, shallowest, and irrelevant of dishes and utensils.
And ice cream scoop, a small plate, a butter knife — all fair game for a good “soak.”
Strawberry Crunch Cake
Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes Ingredients
2 (8 inch round) French vanilla cake layers, baked and cooled
2 (8 inch round) strawberry cake layers, baked and cooled
12 Golden Oreo cookies
12 shortbread cookies (I used Lorna Doone)
3 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
1 cup freeze dried strawberries
1 cup salted butter, softened
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup frozen strawberries, thawed and pureed (alternatively, you could use fresh)
4 cups powdered sugar
Cream cheese frosting:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
1. Prepare the strawberry crunch: In the bowl of your food processor, pulse Golden Oreos and shortbread cookies until they are in coarse crumbs. Add melted butter and pulse until combined. Addf freeze-dried strawberries and pulse until combined.
2. Prepare strawberry frosting: In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter on medium speed until smooth. Add heavy cream and strawberry puree, mixing on medium-low and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed until combined. With the mixer on low, slowly add powdered sugar until combined. Increase mixer speed to high and beat for one minute.
3. Assemble: Place one strawberry cake layer on a plate and frost generously with 1/3 of strawberry frosting. Repeat, alternating layers until assembled.
4. Prepare cream cheese frosting: In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth. Add heavy cream and vanilla, mixing on medium-low and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed until combined. With the mixer on low, slowly add powdered sugar until combined. Increase mixer speed to high and beat for one minute. Frost the outside of the cake (don't worry if it doesn't look perfect -- you'll cover it all in crumbs)
5. Add strawberry crunch: Cupping some of the crumb mixture in your hand, work your way around the cake, gently pressing the crumb mixture into the frosting. Repeat until entire top and sides of cake is covered in crumbs.