I have made this pie so many times that I don't have to check the recipe anymore. It is the family favorite. I have perfected it in a few ways for our family.
Firstly, I use a homemade graham cracker crust instead of the baked pie crust (store bought works, too, but homemade is better - I use graham cracker crust I from this website). Secondly, I use homemade whipped cream.
It's so easy and so much better. Just beat heavy whipping cream until it gets stiff and add a teaspoon of vanilla and a couple tablespoons of confectioner's sugar (depending on how sweet you want it). This pie doesn't last more than 24 hours in my house every time I make it.
FRENCH SILK PIE
For the crust:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 sticks (1/2 cup) unsalted butter- diced and chilled
2-4 tablespoons iced water
For chocolate filling:
8 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate - melted and cooled
1 ½ cup powdered sugar
1 cup unsalted butter - softened
1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
½ cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3 oz. chocolate for garnish
- To make the pie crust mix flour, salt and sugar in a medium-size bowl. Add pieces of chilled unsalted butter. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 2 tablespoons ice water and using your hands knead until dough comes together , DO NOT OVERDO IT!!! (If it’s still crumbly, add water a tablespoon at a time, up to 2 more tablespoons, but don’t use too much water or the crust will shrink while baking).
- Flatten the dough into disks, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface into a 14-inch round, wrap around rolling pin and carefully unroll over a 9-inch pie dish and gently press into bottom and side. Trim dough to a 1-inch overhang, fold under, and seal to form a rim, then crimp the rim with fingertips. Using a fork poke the bottom of the crust or use pie weights. Wrap with plastic wrap and set in the fridge or freezer. The dough must be well chilled before baking!!!
- Bake in preheated oven at 375 F until golden brown. Cool completely and set aside.
- To make the filling in a heath proof bowl beat 4 eggs and 1 ½ cup powdered sugar until pale yellow, place over the pot of simmering water and cook until thickened ( about 8-10 minutes) STIR ALL THE TIME and be careful not to scramble the eggs!!!!
- When it’s done remove from the heat, set aside to cool for couple of minutes than mix in melted chocolate. Cover and store in the fridge until chilled.
- While the chocolate-egg mixture is cooling, beat 1 cup of butter until light and fluffy. Add cooled chocolate egg mixture and mix to combine.
- Beat 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form adding ½ cup of powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons cocoa powder slowly during mixing. Fold whipped cream into chocolate, egg and butter mixture and transfer into chilled pie crust. Smooth the top and set in the fridge.
- Before serving, make the whipped cream topping. Beat the heavy whipping cream on high speed until stiff peaks form, adding 1/2 tablespoon of powdered sugar slowly during mixing. Mix in vanilla. Top the pie with whipped cream, sprinkle with chocolate shavings or curls and serve.
Read more >>> FRENCH SILK PIE @ omgchocolatedesserts.com
FRENCH SILK PIE
4/ 5Oleh more